replacing spinet bass strings.

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 19:31:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Matthew,

Replace them all with custom made bass strings. You
might wish to investigate rescaling the piano shaped
object as well. Do the best work you can for the
client. When one uses a universal replacement you have
the cost of the string plus the cost of the labor to
make it a very approximate fit. Often it costs more
than a custom made string. Using universals is (imho)
essentially shoddy workmanship--and it will bite you
sooner or later.

Someone mentioned having to go back to the piano after
getting the new set of strings made. The tuner will
have to do this in any event because the universal
replacements will stretch--and probably *more* than a
custom made set.

I have a whole set of universals for sale *grin*.

You may wish to encourage the client to upgrade to a
better instrument if that is within their means,
instead of putting good strings on a flawed design.
(too small, too much inharmonicity, too slow an
action, too much wear, and most important TOO HARD TO
SERVICE)

At 10:51 AM 7/9/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello all,     Is it necessary to take the action out
like I would in a
>upright, or can I just go for it?   Thanks!
>
>Matthew__________________________________________________
>Do You Yahoo!?
>Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
protection around
>http://mail.yahoo.com No virus found in this incoming
message. Checked by
>AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database:
267.8.11/44 - Release
>Date: 7/8/2005

Regards,
3004 Grant Rd, Regina, SK, S4S 5G7