Plate Horn

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:13:20 -0400

Re: Plate HornHi Ron,

You wrote:

SNIP

With our current Overs 225 piano, it has a traditional cast horn at the =
bass/treble break. But we also fit additional braces (2) to the top two =
treble string section breaks. For the Kawi KG5 piano we recently =
remanufactured and re-named Overs - Kawai, we fitted two additional =
struts, one at the bass/treble break (since there was no horn in the =
original design) and one at the next higher break (where the capo =
section starts). An image of the higher strut can be found at;

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/overskawai6.jpg

The diameter of the strut is 0.5" (12.7 mm), and the custom-made =
threaded fitting has a 1/2" thread with 70 mm of thread length in the =
belly rail. A hardwood block is glued in behind the belly rail sound =
board support strip, before the sound board is fitted, to provide =
sufficient wood depth for the 70 mm of thread to be fully engaged with =
the belly.

SNIP

Best,
Ron O.

Is your strut (rod) straight? It appears slightly curved in the picture, =
but that may not be real (may be picture distortion). Is the strut fixed =
to the plate somehow, or does it just butt up to a flat spot on the =
plate, thus allowing one to rotate the strut to adjust its relationship =
with the plate?

Thanks. Great idea I should say!

Terry Farrell