pants sticking to bench

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:48:27 -0600

I'm sure you've all experienced your pants sticking to the piano bench,
especially on hot days.  But it can also happen in the winter, even if
the house isn't that warm inside.  Butt temperature remains 98.6, which
must be warm enough to soften the varnish or lacquer, then the weave of
the cloth sinks into it, and when you go to move, it's almost like your
pants are masking tape, sticky side out.  Doesn't seem to damage the
pants, but leaves "wrinkle prints" and a blemish in the bench's finish.
I apologized to a lady for that once, and she said, "Oh, it happens all
the time when I play, too, but I just .... and it fixes it right up."
Why that went in one ear and out the other, I'm not sure, but I forget
what her remedy was.  I think fine steel wool and some common household
product were involved, but I forget exactly what she said she did.
    Polyester finishes don't have this problem, and not all lacquer or
varnish benches do it, either.  The softening temperature must vary by
the batch.
     I've tried moving my butt every few minutes to a cooler part of the
bench, but it doesn't always work.  Also tried putting a towel between
me and the bench, but the towel just warms up and sticks also.  Same
with newspapers.  Maybe with enough thicknesses, or a vinyl seat
cushion? ( Jeez, yet another thing to carry around.)
     Anybody have an easy fix?
    --David Nereson, RPT