[OT] VCR Power Consumption & Solatubes [Was] Re: An Urgent Message - Risk of Fire

Andy Moore andy@makemooremusic.com
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:48:08 -0500

Susan Kline wrote:

< snipped first 3 >

> Anyway, the real piece of information which impressed me was that anything
> run by a remote control uses a tremendous amount of energy even when it is
> turned off, because it is constantly scanning for the infrared signal. Some
> of the VCR's use more power when turned off than when recording! Seems
> incredible,

Yes, and simply not possible unless the switching circuitry in the VCR
were HORRIBLY designed.  The few milliwatts per hour the IR circuitry
uses is nothing compared to when the transport motor, flying erase head,
record head, RF tuner, video and audio amplifiers... well, you get the
drift.

> 5.(OT) I'm about to get two sun tubes, one for the hallway, and one for
> the windowless guest bathroom. Has anyone else gotten these, and how have
> they been? Any drawbacks I should know about up front?

We got a Solatube [1] in our windowless bathroom upstairs and we
absolutely love it!!  I'd get another in a heartbeat.  They are kind of
spendy but the esthetics (and energy savings) are worth it.

1. http://www.solatube.com/

--
Andy Moore

Make Moore Music