Moving from Uprights to Grands

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:28:48 -0700

MIchael,

Did you ever try tightening the pinblock screws on that Kawai?

David I.

Original message
From: Michael Gamble
To: Farrell ,
Subject: Re: Moving from Uprights to Grands

Hello Terry and Listers
The answer to this lies in the meetings of the PTA in the UK.=
 Such things are discussed. I guess it is a rare occasion=
 otherwise for tuners to meet each other. I am lucky in this=
 respect working at Glyndebourne as I have a colleague there and=
 we.... discuss things.... like Tuning Rates, what to do about=
 that Kawai CA-4 etc. etc. etc. He's a MPTA though I am not - I=
 get a lot of my info from the List (thanks!) :-) and from=
 discussions with my colleague. The only time I have ever watched=
 a tuner in action was when I was asked by a newly qualified=
 tuner from the Furniture College, London, if I could monitor his=
 tuning and comment. He used a felt strip and I cringed - yes...=
 cringed.... as he poked the felt between the strings to lay the=
 bearings. I am very glad ears were invented :-) Incidentally=
 when he got to the top all h*ll broke loose. He - had - no -=
 idea... how to get the top strings right - and that was after a=
 three year course..... How do those postal courses work if=
 there's no-one to monitor your results? I'm baffled. Yes...=
 baffled. ;-)
Regards from a beautiful, hot, sunny day in Sussex where there's=
 a "Hosepipe Ban!" now in force. Our reservoirs are running low.
Michael G.(UK) (baffled)