Using a strip wedge. Was: Moving from Uprights to Grands

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:03:19 -0700

The temp strip in the PTG testing is used for convenience since=
 we are tuning only one string per unison for the first 2 parts=
 of the test.  PTG is certainly not endorsing temp strips.  I=
 think a temp strip is fine as long as you're not making a pitch=
 change of more than a few cents.  If you are using a temp strip=
 and learning to tune by ear, go for it.  Also take everything=
 you read on the List with a grain of salt...;-]   "quirky=
 saying, wonder where that comes from?"

David Ilvedson, RPT

Original message
From: Bob Sutton
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Using a strip wedge. Was: Moving from Uprights to=
 Grands

Michael, are you saying that you and the profession in England=
 are correct and the PTG and all of the people who have passed=
 the RPT tests are wrong because they use a temperament strip?  I=
 am new to this business, but this kind of information is=
 contrary to everything I have read in all of the PTG=
 publications.  It is very confusing to say the least.

Bob Sutton
League City, TX