old grand with a K

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:43:48 EDT

List

I have been hired to recondition an old baby grand recently bought by my
client. The client is interested in knowing the manufacturer of the piano.   There
is no fallboard decal since it was refinished some time ago and the
refinisher didn't replace it.   There is no name or serial number anywhere on the piano
but there is a raised letter 'K' down at the bass end of the plate.    The K
is not in ornate script or anything.   It's just a small K in a plain font.
(if I may use that word in this context) It doesn't look like a 'monogram'
letter, rather a model number perhaps (not even painted black, just a raised
letter 'K').

The client thinks it stands for Knabe, but there is a dome-like swelling on
the plate in the far treble which reminds me of a few old Kimballs I've worked
on.   What other design elements might I use to confirm that it might be a
Kimball?

Or perhaps does anyone out there know of a manufacturer who made model 'K's?
 (It's a grand, not an upright, so it ain't a S&S Model K) Or is that letter
actually a monogram of the manufacturer?   The K is down at the foot of the
piano, down by the ends of the bass strings.

Any ideas?

Tom Sivak
Chicago