Nobody Knows the Treble I've Seen ...

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:57:02 -0700

At 08:39 PM 7/28/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks, gonna try that next time. Or maybe a damp cloth over the hammers
>and light touches with the old iron.
>
>If you use the alcohol and water (I'd probably use unadulterated, i.e., non
>scented, 70 or 90% isopropyl) do you have to wait overnight or use a dryer
>before you can tell how it's doing?
>
>Alan Barnard
>Salem, Missouri

Watch out for that iron -- I find the results of a damp cloth and iron, let
alone
a steam kettle, to be too strong and too fast. You don't want to overdo.

I use 100 proof vodka, or rather, an imitation of it. 190 proof generic ethyl
alcohol ("Clear Spring") cut half and half with tap water, in a plastic
dropper
bottle. ("Don't leave home without it ...")

Be sure your isopropyl has nothing else in it. I think that sometimes it
might have
oil as well as perfume, since it's used for massage.

If you use the right amount (only one drop per hammer in the high treble)
you don't
need to use a hair dryer, and you should have a pretty reasonable idea what
you're getting after ten minutes or so. Sometimes the voicing of a couple
of hammers still sticks out from their neighbors, and they may get a second
drop. Never more than two. You
don't want to weaken the shoulder support, well, I don't, anyway. I just
want to fluff up
the exact contact point. It's still the high treble, so it still needs some
bite. I just
want a tiny little cushion on the sound. I sometimes wonder if the factory
voicers have
lost hearing in the high register, from the noisy surroundings they work
in. Or maybe
they're just afraid of people saying the top octave is too weak. So many
people in the general public have lost hearing in the high end, and some of
them buy pianos, of course.

Let me know if your mileage varies ...

Susan