You have received photos from Adobe Photoshop Album

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:03:24 EDT

Sounds like it you first close encounter with the Steinway  Plate wedge.
Make sure it gets back where it belongs before the string  tension goes on. Yes,
It's important!

    Dale

Hello all
This close-up shows a metal shim which fell out  of a place between the "dam"
and the underside "nose" of the plate on my  S&S 'A' . I stood it on the
soundboard near its normal location. I can  only hazzard its use as being intended
to convey the pressure of the  fully strung piano from the web to the dam and
sound board. Any other ideas?  It is about 1/4" thick. You can see the gap
into which it fits. It was nor  glued in place - should it be? I doubt it as the
glue would give  a deadness and tend to be elastic in situ.
Now all the strings are off, the soundboard gives  a healthy bass "thwummm"
of G# 0 @ A=431 when tapped with a fingers on the  bass bridge. Having vacuumed
off all the debris of ninety years I am about to  gently wash the plate and
soundboard with a damp cloth from a bowl of water  with washing up liquid in.
Regards from a Sunday afternoon where the village  church bells have just
finished pealing.
Michael  G.(UK)