CyberHammer Recommendation - was RE: Tuning Hammers

John M. Formsma john at formsmapiano.com
Mon Aug 14 17:35:34 MDT 2006

Terry's post is a good segue to my recommendation of the CyberHammer. I've
had mine for a bit over a month, and it has really been a great help. No
more sore upper shoulder and neck.

Last week I tuned 10 verticals, which would normally have sent my
shoulder/neck into pain-land, but the CyberHammer actually made it
enjoyable.

The impact action takes some getting used to, so I would be prepared for
that. It might even take more than a month. I had used a Mehaffey several
years ago, so I was already somewhat familiar with impact levers, though I
never was able to do a fine tuning with it.

Now I'm tuning about as fast as normal with the CyberHammer, so I'm over the
steepest part of the learning curve. I don't consider myself an expert -
just not in 1st grade anymore. :-) I do think that I will become faster with
more use.

It's a huge help with pitch raises. I did one piano that was over 100 cents
flat, and two pitch raise passes and a fine tuning took around 1 hour, 15
minutes. This was after several pianos that took that just for one pass,
though.

I'd say if a person doesn't do several verticals a week, it might be best to
keep using a traditional lever. It's something you wouldn't pick up in 1 or
2 tunings.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to tell you what I know, but it
ain't much.

John Formsma