"Dead Wood"

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Aug 17 13:22:25 MDT 2006

Yes, I am familiar with the term. It's been a while since my undergraduate forestry courses. If I'm not mistaken it describes a break that occurs with little bending because of pre-existing damage. Like if a wooden airplane wing breaks off suddenly and unexpectedly, and examination suggests pre-existing older partial breaks in the wood in the damaged area, it might be referred to as a brash failure.

So how does "brash failure" relate to wood loosing it's elasticity and dying? What's that all about?

Terry Farrell