Illimitable Action question

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Aug 21 02:00:33 MDT 2006

At 12:40 pm -0400 20/8/06, Amanda Welsh wrote:

>...I have a Bell piano with an illimitable action that I am trying
>to regulate/recondition, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if
>replacement jacks are available for this type of action.  All of the
>springs on the jacks in the bass and high treble sections are
>missing, as well as the thread loops...
>
>I am wondering if it's possible, and worth the time to replace the
>jacks/loops so the piano keeps this type of action...

If it's something similar to the picture below, then I'd reckon about
a day's work to dismantle, (decentre), remove springs, make new
phosphor-bronze springs, fit springs, drill out loops, fit new
polyester cord loops etc.  All the springs and loops will need
replacing since the brass has become brittle and the silk has rotted.

JD