new Knabes

Jonathan Finger pianotech at tollidee.com
Wed Aug 23 09:15:43 MDT 2006

I saw these at NAMM two years ago, and was impressed overall with their
construction and scaling.  This coming from someone who primarily sells
upper end German inventory.
I think price is always the key comp here.  Yamaha, Samick, Young Chang,
all have different quality lines, and all build pianos from bad to
pretty good.  It's unfair to say that any Yamaha is better than another
Asian piano, when all the Asian manufacturers are building not only in
their native country, but in China or Indonesia as well.
Still, the Knabes I saw when first introduced were all Korean made, and
in my opinion were built pretty well - compared to everything else
available in the same basic price bracket.  I'd say that if nothing's
changed, and with a good thorough prep (as ALL new pianos need) it
should represent a good value for your client.
If the client is in the price range of the Yamaha C2 or C3 though, I'd
also be looking at the Vogel by Schimmel.
Just my $.02

Jonathan