RPT

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 2 21:51:30 MST 2006

Les Bartlett said: "As with any club, you join by their rules, not your
own. If you want
identification with the club and whatever benefits derived from it then you
play by their rules. When you get "in" you get to vote and be part of some
of the decision making. Until then, any argument as to your qualifications
to work on certain things, or even hunt ducks isn't important. I fought
this battle years ago, and was so hacked over it I had one RPT call me an
SOB online in the public forum because of my remarks about the process. I
eventually took the blasted tests, didn't study for them, passed with high
marks, and the guy who had berated me did a bunch of backpedaling...........
That being said, there are benefits to being in the club. Each must decide
for himself if this is the case. In my case it was PTG people who taught
me, helped me gain skills, and I felt some loyalty to the club. Now, I wear
PTG shirts as part of my daily garb. Some have suggested I get my own
shirts, but I prefer to say I am aligned with a group "larger than myself'.
In the long run, it seems to add a modicum of credibility, and also gives me
opportunity to teach customers about their pianos. NO matter how smart one
is, the corporate wealth of knowledge of Guild people far outstrips the
finest individual technician, and this is borne out every year at national
convention where many of the best in the land are teaching. But the bottom
line is, "If you want to be in the club, you come in as they say you do."
It's true with any club. The outsider doesn't dictate what the insiders do.
You have to decide if RPT is a thing worth your time. If not phooey on it.
I said that for years. I did my proper bowing and scraping, and now am one
of the club. I really don't think it gave me more confidence. The work I
have done, on which others have commented gives me credibility and thus some
measure of confidence. However, the PTG is an honestly sincere group of
folks who really want techs to be knowledgeable, so they do what they can.
Thus I will extol them to my customers, encourage customers to take
advantage of the PTG website, and appreciate the kind tutelege of those who
have made my rather reasonable rise possible.

Les, (w/a capitol L<G>)

You have said it better than I could! Bravo! May all your ducks forever be
in line.<G>
Best Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police