Problems with new Steinways

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Dec 2 22:44:15 MST 2006

Hi all
  I don't get out in field much but I have seen two new  Steinways recently
year.  One is a new L & the other a New  O.  I saw the O last week. Really
quite a nice sounding  piano.
    I've laid my hands on probably hundreds of  Steinways of all vintages &
not expereinced glide bolts so loose they were  wobbling & turnable by hand.
Also they were about three cranks  from being in touch with the key bed which
seems to be par for the course. The  damper up stop rail is all the way down on
the screws & the dampers are  still over traveling a mile. The clients
biggest concern though is Bass dampers  that won't shut off.  After tweaking futzing
& lightly bending they  were improved only slightly.  Primarily it was notes
11 thru15 but on forte  blows they were all slow to shut off, with a very
nasty over ring.  After  further examination I found they no longer employ the use
of damper return  springs. IMO this is a mistake & a pain for any tech trying
to achieve  really quick shut off.  Regulation was in need but not  desperate
  The L had so many false beats in the top capo sections  that it was not
possible to tune cleanly.  Glide bolts a mile off &  keys bouncing like a spring
board. etc etc.
  Are you guys seeing similar things & is any one  having success getting a
response from the warranty department.
  I have more to say regarding this but want to  hear your feed back.
  Thanks
  Dale Erwin
  By the way I secured  a copy of the warranty &  the wording is so nebulous
I can't tell it covers any thing

Dale  Erwin--Piano Restorations
Modesto, Ca.
Shop 209-577-8397
cell  209-985-0990
Web site _http://www.Erwinspiano.com_ (http://www.erwinspiano.com/)
Restoration & Sales of
Steinway & Sons plus  other fine pianos.
Custom made soundboards by  design