yamaha spinet

Steve Blasyak atuneforyou at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 3 16:36:50 MST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell
To: Pianotech List
Sent: 12/3/2006 5:21:14 AM
Subject: Re: yamaha spinet

Are you serious?
> No not really...I was just kidding.

Run away from a Yamaha spinet? I have serviced one Yamy spinet for some years now. I would put it will into the 90+ percentile of desirable pianos to service. Sure, it's small, but at least it is a real piano - that's quite a bit more than I can say for the majority of pianos I service.

> Yes I have a few Yamaha spinets I have come across and in general they are good pianos. It is my understanding that they were not made to export to the U.S.

IMHO, the Yamy spinet is small, but otherwise a lovely little piano.

> I am not a piano elitist, I own a Kimball console that my wife and I bought 30 years ago. Most Yamaha's would be a step up for me.

As for the removal of the action I just thought that someone would surely offer sound advise to Robin. I have performed this task on numerous occasions including on a Yamaha spinet. I'd prefer going to the dentist. Not enough money for the time spent. The last time I did remove a spinnet action to soak the center pins in alcohol/water I got the action back in and it came back to life..... I ran (with the check in hand), and did not look back. No call backs and no complaints. Whew!

 Someone should explain that getting it back in is much harder than getting it out.

No offence intended.

Terry Farrell