disrupted mortises

MICHAEL MORVAN keymaestro at verizon.net
Tue Dec 5 18:54:07 MST 2006

Ed,
    In my opinion, get out as much of that PVC-E glue as possible, it is not
compatible with hide glue, it is rubbery and when it has saturated the pores
no glue will stick well accept more of the same. Then machine a mortise
relief cut into the underside of the keystick to get a clean and square
mortise to work with. Now, you might want to glue size the mortise with hide
glue which can help the bushing to stick in a mortise that has been
saturated with PVC-E glue. Try and isolate the really bad mortises and use
thicker sized cloths or replace the mortise entirely, you have more
flexibility for slop in the front rail than the balance. The services page
of my website shows mortise relief cuts, glue sizing and mortise
replacement. Good luck and remember to spare the next technician the horror
of fixing a bad repair, because the next technician might be you.

Michael A. Morvan
Blackstone Valley Piano
Dedicated To Advancing The Art Of Keyboard Restoration
76 Sutton Street
Uxbridge, Ma. 01569
(508) 278-9762
Keymaestro at verizon.net