Problems with new Steinways

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Thu Dec 7 17:53:55 MST 2006

I love Steinways.  The bulk of my business is making them play as
they should have from the dealer.
Many comments heard: "Why didn't it play like this from the factory?"

Thanks to David Stanwood's genius, action work is simplified.
Establish a solid foundation for regulation with a Stanwood
application transforms every piano into a dream instrument, where the
notes are articulated from the fingers and not the arms and
shoulders. I judge a regulation and
performance at pianissimo where finesse is most needed. Anyone can
bang out notes.
All too often we've heard performers whose interpretation of
technique is force.

Pianists soon learn that big technique need not be forced but
finessed, with optimal action performance.

I hope they keep their bar low because it makes me look very, very good.

That said, <soap box>

Dealers bottom line is profit.  So what if a piano goes out
unprepped. The customer selected
it "as is" on the floor.  IF, in subsequent months, the customer
still has no complaints...
there is no problem. Of course the customer figures...it's supposed
to play this way,
it's new and will 'break-in'.  Hah.

I personally no longer work on ones which are still under warranty
because I don't want to
get caught in the middle of coulda-shoulda-woulda. I know how it
should be, the customer
knows what they hoped it would be, the dealer knows what they
delivered. The manufacturer
has divorced themselves from the scenario.  I come in somewhere
between Zorro & Superman.

My role is not as an advocate but in corrections.

Book-em Danno
--

Regards,

Jon Page