Steinways / David Andersen

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Dec 8 11:08:37 MST 2006

Jim..

I am not sure I see the car industry analogy as quite applicable to the
piano industry.  For the some of the same reasons that many (most) of
you all over there see no reason for certification of piano techs.
There is no safety issues involved here.  Whatever <<understandings>>
there are between those Steinway and those they allow to sell their
instruments has to do with what these parties find mutually interesting
from a profit standpoint. That wont change unless the situation becomes
unprofitable.

And thats the core of my point.  I believe that the tech world at large
does have the opportunity to affect change by attacking the situation
from this angle. If we are interested in doing so that is.  I dont think
there is any chance of affecting change by trying to tell the world
there are problems with their basic design.

I found your post interesting to be sure.  But I dont understand where
you are coming from with the below quote however.  I never accused the
tech world of being responsible for the problem.... I just said if the
communal "we" actually want to do something to improve the situation....
we probably could.  Where do consumer advocate organizations get their
motivation ??  I dunno... perhaps they just want to make things a little
better ?

Cheers
RicB

    With all this history relating to this problem for someone to say,
    or imply, that somehow the individual techs of the world are
    responsible in some nebulous manner for the situation is rather
    disingenuous...of course these are just my thoughts and
    opinion..what do I know?? :-)
    Jim Bryant (FL)