The Soundboard bit.. was Steinways / David Andersen

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Dec 8 11:18:17 MST 2006

You see... this just doesn't wash.  How can this be explained ?  Yamaha
dries out their boards to a 4.5 %. I have that straight from the mouth
of the head of the soundboard department in Hamamatsu whilst I was at
the Academy.  Ok... so maybe he lied to me ???   Steingræber gets them
as dry as he possibly can. Schimmel experimented with RC boards didnt
like them and when back to CC boards also drying them severely. One can
go on and on with companies who build boards this way.  Now why only
Steinways... who are a bit more moderate then some in how much they dry
out their panels then some to begin with,  can experience soundboard
problems relating to the CC board in general and yet one nearly never
hears this criticism directed at any of these other companies.... well
until I hear a satisfactory explanation I just have to remain very much
in doubt.

Cheers
RicB

    David:

    Could it be that you don't encounter the sounding board problems that
    have been mentioned because the weather in your area is much more
    benign?  In other parts of the country there are climate issues that
    stress the board more than in your corner of Camelot.  This, of course,
    affects all pianos but S&S seems to have worse problems than other
    manufacturers on this.

    dave