Soundboard types.. was The soundboard bit.

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Dec 9 17:18:13 MST 2006

RIc
    In my practice when someone orders a An RC  board the ones I make will
transfer much of the load bearing  capacity to  the ribbing. Be aware that  in
my RC boards the ribs are made taller  & of stiffer materials with tight radii
The compression componenet will  vary between 5 to 5.5% mc at time of pressing
depending on what type of climate  the piano is going to.  Nevada/Arizona
etc. gets the lower  MC & the bay area gets 6% or higher. In either case, because
of  prevailing MC in the mentioned climate, the panel compression will end up
being  roughly similar at there final destinations. Customization is great.
If I  had to ascribe a percentage of crown support from this type of board I'd
just be  guessing at 20 to 30% as opposed to a purelly C.C. design.
  All boards must benefit from the interface..hey it's a  form of plywood.
Beyond that it's many variable dynamic stresses in the panel  that make it
work....or not.
 Dale

A RC  board can be said to have curved ribs... but beyond that it can
either  rely largely on panel compression and the stress interface this
creates  with the ribs, or it can be a pure RC and S board.  All depends
on  how much compression the whole assembly process ends up putting into
the  board.

Cheers
RicB