Baldwin pedal saga continues

Avery avery1 at houston.rr.com
Sun Dec 17 08:39:20 MST 2006

Michelle,

Does he use Steinway pianos at work? If so, you're probably never going
to get the Baldwin to feel similar to that. A couple of things I've done on
Baldwins is to put hard felt (could also be leather, I guess) stop blocks
underneath to limit the pedal travel to no more than necessary. It's been a
while since I've worked on one of those but as best I remember, Baldwin grands
usually have more pedal travel than necessary. Make sure the trichords clear
the strings and that there is an even damper regulation with the pedal. A lot
of excess travel makes it very difficult for a concert level pianist to get
precise pedaling!

Another alternative that takes a little longer, is to install a large
type capstan
screw for the stop. Make sure there's a piece of leather or something
very firm on
the lever where it contacts the stop for noise reduction.

Is the pedal spring sufficiently strong?

Just some random thoughts which I'm sure will be corrected if I'm wrong. :-)
Let us know if you get it solved. We were all newbies at one time!