Baldwin pedal saga continues

David Chadwick chadwick61 at cox.net
Sun Dec 17 09:11:35 MST 2006

Michelle,
I have also made these changes that Avery has mentioned to several Baldwin's with no pedal/trap lever stop cushion. In both cases the pianos were in -home piano's used by professional musicians. The complaint was the same (had to use the pianist to technician translation reference book) for mushy sustain pedal. Limiting damper travel to just at the top of depressed sharp key travel (if timed correctly with key lift) should solve the phenomenon as well as limit the amount of thumping noise whenever pedal off/termination occurs which seems to come through clearly whenever she recorded her performance. I used a hex head bolt, similar to the ones included in a PianoDisc installation kit, and glued the proper thickness of firm felt to the lever. No complaints after this repair was done.

David C.