upright touchweight

John Tonyan tonyanj at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 18 14:27:38 MST 2006

Hello all.

I need some help understanding upright touchweight. I’ve searched the
archives, with little gain.

I redesign grand touchweight on a regular basis: leverage, friction and
mass. The wonderful results I gain there leads me to want to understand the
upright action better,
especially for the sake of many gifted students who lack the resources to
invest in a grand.

For example, a Samick upright, JS 115:

Downweights 	40-45gr
Upweights 	30gr
Keyleads	Bass 1 lead, 2” behind balance rail
		Mid  1 lead at back of key
		Treb 2 leads at back of key

My biggest question: Is it possible to widen the difference between the DW
and UW (friction), or do you just shoot for an acceptable Balance Weight?

What do you do about the inertia of the keys? For feel, we should have more
inertia in the bass than in the treble. It should be contiguous, therefore
the butt springs would have to be adjusted after the keys are leaded.

I’ve considered double-leading the key (front and rear) to increase inertia
in the bass without affecting the static touchweight, but would that affect
repetition speed?

Many more thoughts and questions on the subject, but this would be a good
beginning.

Thanks.
John Tonyan