German Loop on low Bass

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Dec 23 18:12:01 MST 2006

Hi Ric
  My comments below

RIc wrote
  Hi Joe

One should not write off peoples experiences  anymore
then anything else I harp on about.  I suppose  tho your re-looped
strings were also new strings and not the old strings  with their
terminations changed yes ?
  Yes so true.  To each his own. It is a fair minded  attitude to possess.

      HI Joe
  Oh I love this, I think the opposite about single  wrapped strings.  They
have no place on a short grand. JMO.  They  are not as flexible as a double
wrapped string & the harmonics are whacked  & the fundamental is weak.  I have
employed double wrapped all mono  chords on pianos up to 7 ft with a dramatic
increase in fundamental & tone  color. See ,.......our ears see it differently.
  Just for the record Jim Arledge shares YOUR  opinion.  Merry Christmas
  Dale

John,
I've already done several "experiments", mostly  on Chickering 1/4 Grands
that have an ungodly short  back-scale.The first one I did was originally
strung with a  standard English loop. The bottom 5 notes were like
listening
to a Spinet!! Redid with German loops and the low  end became MUCH
better!
There IS a  difference IMO.
However, "experiment" all you want, I suspect  you'll come to the same
conclusion.
On the  topic of Double Wound vs Single Wound, I prefer the single wound
sound, (there is a difference!<G>) Also, I've found that  Double
Wound Low
Bass strings seem to get a  bit thumpy in a short period of time as
opposed
to the Single Wraps. Just my experience. YMMV.<G>
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I