ethics question

Joseph Alkana josephspiano at comcast.net
Fri Dec 29 16:25:37 MST 2006

ethics question

Long rant, sorry.

Jon, et al,
I really agree with your approach. I, too, have given up dealer work for the same reasons. I have myself to blame as well. Since I cut my teeth on dealer work in my early career I had no firm views about handling the dealer relationship vis a vis piano needs or customer relations. My philosophy only evolved after much, shall we say, trial and error being committed on my part as well as the dealers'.

Now I have a much more 'mature' view of things and can see how and why errors occurred, mistakes made in judgment, and pianos left in limbo, their faults to be resolved by future professional techs ready to correct perhaps what should have been done years in the past, possibly under the auspices of a warranty or dealer program.

Just moments ago I got off the phone with a new "dealer", who shall remain anonymous for now. The communication went like this:

Dealer wants me to do a local tuning at 'cost' and send the bill, here's the info: Blah, Blah, Blah.

Whoa, says I, lets back up a bit. I tell them that my fee is $XXX plus $XX per hour over and above the tuning. I tell them I don't need the extra work at reduced price, I don't care for their unprepared pianos that go out the door, and I don't like covering up that fact either by them or by me acting on their behalf when I represent them in the home.

Speechless, the gal trying to make the arrangements stammers out that, gee, she likes my train of thought, but she'll never get her manager to approve of my fees or probably my approach. But, she likes my 'stick to my guns' attitude and professional bearing, so she says she'll discuss with the manager and get back to me.

We'll see how this shakes out. I am not about to get involved misrepresenting products for anyone again. Or getting myself into situations that are untenable for me, the piano or the customer.

Jon, your comments also point out the need for piano techs to be better informed and more conscious of what is really going on in the dealer - technician relationship. My personal take, based just on my own experience, points to naiveté in my part and total lack of training to see the problems in a piano at the dealer level and to speak up. The fees that we were supposed to accept were always supported with the solicitous " That's so you can get the customer for your very own" crap. Also, the famous bit: "We let you work on pianos to get experience, why should we pay you the going rate at retail"?

Dealer work - what a subject for discussion. Many of us are strongly opinionated about the various aspects, but for those of us residing more in the negative camp, I suggest that we have caused as much of the problem by cow-towing to the stores' policies as much as anything the dealer overtly or covertly does. We have lacked backbone and conviction and must share in the so-called blame. Bravo to those who have picked up their ethical perspectives and moved on to greener pastures. With more attention to how we approach dealer work perhaps the pendulum can swing with a better beat.

Joseph Alkana RPT