Fw: Zuckerman harpsichord kit

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Sun Sep 3 21:44:38 MDT 2006

Hello harpsichord experts!

While I was working on a piano at a church, the music director asked me if I knew anything about harpsichords.

"Well...after five years at IWU, I was fairly decent at servicing the ones they had."

He lead me into his office and explained that someone had donated a 78" Zuckerman harpsichord, not totally finished (of course).

Hmm, there was piece of elastic spanning over the 4' jacks to help them return.  The 8' jacks are in a box somewhere.   :-)

I do not claim to be an expert when it comes to harpsichords, though in the past I've been able to get them to play fairly well--that means all the notes work & sound pretty even and the touch is mostly even.

I took a quick look at the keys and they are mighty tight.  And then I pulled out this jack.  Maybe screw adjustments aren't authentic, but I find them handy and there aren't any on these jacks.

I have some harpsichord literature around here somewhere which I am fully capable of reading--but my question is this:  Is it possible to get these jacks to perform well?  Is there any other information or advice I need to work on this instrument?

Thanks so much,

Barbara Richmond