balancing action heresy?

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 4 17:34:33 MDT 2006

Granted I am a Stanwood novice:

But while I am going through and adding lead to the hammers, I'm finding if instead of evening out the hammer weight exactly to the curve and I deviate slightly from the curve...actually I am only evening out the hammer weights...not following a curve...YIKES...as I was saying, I can get my upweight and downweight in the generally right spot although the BW is not exact...but pretty close.   In other words I'm not having to deal with the key weights at all...at least on this action...Bechstein...

So am I to be burned at the stake?   I realize any differences in hammer weight will translate into slightly difference spring tensions and that is a trade off...what else am I missing...

Please David S...don't send anyone from Callahan's to knock me off...;-]

This is all in the beginning stages, so If I'm screwing up royally I can back off...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA 94044

heresy