poly + stain on Baldwin

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 6 05:20:02 MDT 2006

Leslie Bartlett <l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net> wrote:      What long term effects might one have if they put a polyurethane+stain over the finish of a 65 year old Baldwin?  Will this work?

  Hi Les -

  If he properly prepared the surface before applying the finish material, AND applied it correctly, there is no reason I can think of for the finish to fail.  Pretty big "if", considering your description of this fellow. ;-)   That being said, the use of any finish with the stain already mixed into it is a particularly dumb idea, IMO, especially as a topcoat.  It can severely muddy the appearance, and anyplace the finish wears or is chipped, off comes the color too.

  You oughta have to pass a test to buy some of this stuff, or at least promise you won't use it on anybody else's furniture.  I guess he IS inocent of that charge, though...  Maybe we should let him off with a minor misdemeanor, as it's probably punishment enough having to suffer the daily consequences of his not-so-informed decisions?

  Mark Potter