Bridge Seating (was Re: Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? (Advice sought)

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Fri Sep 8 11:43:49 MDT 2006

Hi Jonathan

    I understand that I have yet to achieve heavy-weight status on this
    list, and as such my post will not seem as authoritative as some,
    but in
    general I think there are some benefits to seating strings.

There are of course benefits to insuring the strings are well seated.
There are potential dangers as well. As for <<heavy-weight status>>,
IMPB it would be best for all if we didnt think along those lines.

    To say a string can never become un-seated is to assume it was seated
    properly in the first place.

This is true. And all the ranting and raving in the world about how
impossible it is for a string to be unseated in the face of a bridge
that provides a positive bearing for the strings to seat on wont change
that fact.  As stated by several earlier this is very frequently seen in
out of the box pianos. Many the strings will seat themselves fairly well
during a first tuning. But not all. Light taping behind the pins to coax
them down is both appropriate and necessary and has no negative
consequences IMHO.  One can forward friction numbers and pin angles and
all manner of theorizing or modeling... but the fact remains that what
is observable is exactly that... observable.  If what one observers is
in conflict with some math model... then its the math model thats in
error... not reality.

    Get a brass drift, and a very light hammer, and try tapping a few
    right at the
    pin, and at the bend (trying to "confirm" the bend in the string).
    I don't see the harm in this if done with care (though I'm almost
    positive I'll be lambasted for making such an ignorant remark).

Here I have to disagree. Seating pins requires only a very gentle
coaxing. This is easily enough accomplished by a gentle tap on a wood
dowel applied to the string on the bridge surface just inside each pin.
Any more aggressive seating then this accomplishes nothing except
deepening the indentation.. which can easily cause a couple different
undesirable conditions.  There is IMHO no benefit at all to attempting a
bend around the pin.  The bend will be pulled away from the pin slightly
during the first subsequent tuning to begin with, and the pin will be
stressed in the bridge pin hole sideways elongating the hole which is
all to willing to be elongated in the first place.

    What do I know... I don't have the decades of experience with pianos
    that some here do - only a decade of experience with a little shop in
    Colorado known for doing semi-decent work on semi-decent pianos.

IMB that makes your observations as good as anyone elses.  I dont ask
that anyone agrees with me or think any particular thing of me for
expressing my opinions here.  I put out what I think makes sense to me,
read what others write in the same spirit... and discard what I deem
bombastic, frivolous or otherwise off topic stuff.

    Sorry if this has sounded a bit cynical - it's just a bit much
    sometimes
    with all the sarcasm oozing out of the screen into my lap. If the
    topics of discussion here are too exasperating, why add to them?

I would agree one hundred percent. But then I'm not your missionary type :)

    signed - a proponent of open discussion

Hear hear ! In the end you have to make your own calls and hopefully you
are able to adjust these with experience. You can only do as good as
your very best at any given time eh ?

Cheers
RicB