Bridge Seating (was Re: Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? (Advice sought)

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Mon Sep 11 04:25:19 MDT 2006

Hi Paul

To my knowledge no one has an explanation for how strings can come off
the surface of the bridge when the entire bridge surface is at or above
the line of deflection. At this point you have only those who
acknowledge the fact and those who dont.  There has been some
speculation, and some high speed photography was mentioned a while back
that purported to show the string pulse moving the string up the pin.
Also there has been a bit of home experimenting done. One person
manually lifted the strings up the pins with a stringing hook to see if
any would remain unseated...and found that they sometimes did.

Still, I think its safe to say that why strings can be unseated in the
face of the aforementioned bridge surface is not even close to answered.

    I'm coming in late here, but has anyone explained why the strings
    have come
    off the bridge surface and bear only on the bridge pin?  Ron N. has
    addressed hoe the string is moved up off the bridge by the swelling
    of the
    bridge-a humidity increase for sure.  How do the rest of the respondents
    explain this movement?

    Paul C