Call for scaling spreadsheets

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 12:30:55 MDT 2006

Joe, Could you make a plain wire scale that "complements" the set of
bass strings from Schaff? Perhaps, but just because it "complements"
that set doesn't mean it will sound or tune satisfactorily. While H C
Bays have a good reputation, don't forget that there were probably
inadvertent mstakes made when the duplicate set was made. Compromises
on core wire and wrap diameter are the norm, and winding lengths are
frequently shortened or uneven.
As I said before, measure all the  string lengths and compute a proper scale.
You'll be glad with the results -- faking it from the dupe set seems a
very major gamble.
Patrick