Reverse Torque tuning pins & reverse crown

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Fri Apr 6 06:41:55 MDT 2007

Hi Dale -
I posted this question to both lists and had a reply from Don Mannino
on CAUT that explained it quite succinctly, so, without prior
clearance, heeeeeeeer's DON!

>Reverse Torque Tuning Pins is a marketing term (read, misnomer) for the
>concept of 'cutting' the threads into the tuning pins after plating, as
>opposed to rolling the threads into the pins or plating over the threads
>after cutting.  This cutting process causes the threaded portion of the
>pins to be slightly rough in one direction, but smooth in the other.
>The rough surface increases the pin torque in the pitch lowering
>direction (counter-clockwise), but it is smooth in the pitch raising
>direction (clockwise).  The result is that the effort in turning the
>pins is closer to being the same up or down in pitch, because the
>variation in torque is the opposite of the string tension.
>
>The relative benefit for tuning feel is, of course, a trade-off with
>longevity, as the rough pin does tend to chew at the wood a bit.  Since
>our actual rotation during tuning is small it's not much of an issue,
>but when changing strings it certainly can be.

Thank you Don.  (Who remembers Lawrence Welk?)

Dean - what do you or anyone else know about reverse crown boards, as
a design parameter, as opposed to a bad hair day.  Perzina is
apparently using this method in their uprights.  I spoke with one
gentleman from the West Coast company that is distributing them -
Piano Empire - but he is not an engineer.  I might be able to find
out more if I get to MARC.  The one piano of their's that I heard
sounded good, but I'm having trouble conceptualizing the principles.

regards -
David Skolnik