What's the psychology of this?

Phil Ryan pryan2 at the-beach.net
Fri Apr 13 17:51:09 MDT 2007

Gotta tell you this one:  I go to a house, customer is a "no show".  I
go home, get a call from customer, he apologizes (he forgot) and
promises an extra amount if I will come back next day.  I agree, go to
the house next day and "no show" again.  I go home, he calls, apologizes
again (he fell asleep) promises me two extra amounts plus tuning fee if
I will come back next day.  I agree (business is slow),  go back, do a
great job on his piano, he and I are happy, I collect my fee plus extra
loot and leave.  All is well!  But wait.....,  that's not the end.  Two
weeks later, the check bounces!  I get a call from him this morning,
he's supposed to bring "cash" to my house tomorrow.  Should I answer the
door? (hehe)

Where did I go wrong?  (Be nice)

Name withheld to avoid shame and embarrassment.