Plate bolts/screws

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Apr 21 21:29:05 MDT 2007

> The other day I serviced a Kawai 1996 KU30 and before tuning I checked
> the plate screws. I found three of them loose, so loose that they kept
> on turning.
> My questions are why would they be like this and is there any way to
> repair them. From experience I can feel that they are not broken but are
> stripped in the wood.
>
> Jack Houweling

Hi Jack,
They're like that because someone screwed up. <G> It's not an
awfully critical thing, so I'd probably do the quick and dirty
fix. Pull one screw at a time, and insert a leather strip or
two with plenty of Titebond into the hole, then drive the
screw back in. If you haven't done this, it's surprising how
"realistic" the feel is as the screw bites in and tightens
right down like it was in good wood. It'll probably only last
50 years or so, so be prepared to do it again if you live long
enough.
Ron N