Damper flange tray screw

Jessica Masse ebonyandivory at on.aibn.com
Sun Apr 22 08:22:16 MDT 2007

I'm not sure about Boston but I had to do this on a Kawai.  Terribly
difficult, but possible on that piano.  You can purchase an off set
rachet screwdriver set what you normally buy is a tool with double ended
screw tips.  I had to convert mine for rocker style capstans and
something else.  I ground down a different tip  ( it was too tall for
the space ) and I had to add a pipe for an extension to the handle.

For the damper tray flange screw you may or may not need this tool but I
think I used it on the Kawai for some reason.  But I remember the trick
was to force the damper tray up as high as it would go.  In order to do
this you need to unfasten the damper stop rail and may even need to
remove its screws and push it up as high as it will go. Yes, I remember
something else you will also need to remove the sustenuto rail.  Then
you may be able to get at the flange screw with a regular screw driver
or other.

Good Luck!