Damper tray flange screw

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Apr 22 13:27:00 MDT 2007

> Yes Ron,, I agree. You'd think they were looking right at it when the
> designers and engineers were sending it to production. I give it the WTF
> award!
>
> However, I received a message from John Baird (list admin) in my attempt
> to send the photo (too large) and he replied with his experience that
> was similar. I'll quote here the advice that he received from the source
> "I talked with Steinway/Boston's Kent Webb, and he said there is no
> solution other than to remove the dampers and back action. HOWEVER,
> (writes John)  a fellow technician made a tool out of a 6" steel ruler,
> with various bends that allowed him to tighten these screws."
>
> I think Jon Page's recommendation is probably the closest thing to
> access this fastener but a time consuming process which my customer will
> not like the bill.
>
> David C.

Yes, Jon's recommendation is the procedure that works (barely)
in the real world, advice from the source notwithstanding.
Remember, the source cheerfully supplied you with the original
problem. I had a repair on a Kawai last year making a new set
of damper tray flanges, and did essentially what Jon described
to replace them. Any one of hundreds of experienced shop rats
out there could design a better system half way through the
first cup of morning coffee. It's utterly insane that this
thing made it into, and remains in production.
Ron N