Damper tray flange screw

David Chadwick chadwick61 at cox.net
Sun Apr 22 09:05:19 MDT 2007

Yes Ron,, I agree. You'd think they were looking right at it when the
designers and engineers were sending it to production. I give it the WTF
award!

However, I received a message from John Baird (list admin) in my attempt to
send the photo (too large) and he replied with his experience that was
similar. I'll quote here the advice that he received from the source "I
talked with Steinway/Boston's Kent Webb, and he said there is no solution
other than to remove the dampers and back action. HOWEVER, (writes John)  a
fellow technician made a tool out of a 6" steel ruler, with various bends
that allowed him to tighten these screws."

I think Jon Page's recommendation is probably the closest thing to access
this fastener but a time consuming process which my customer will not like
the bill.

David C.