Getting the plate out (safely)

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Apr 27 08:19:50 MDT 2007

Dittos & works great.
  Dale

So a  while back I bought one of the Harbor Freight hoists which I bolted
securely  to the ridge beam and two cross ties. The hook moved too fast to be
useful for  plate R&R so I slowed it down with a couple of blocks (pulleys) from
the  local yachting supply. The blocks cost more than the hoist but did the
trick.  I got a double pulley for the hook end and a single to fasten to the
frame of  the hoist and now it runs at about 2 inches per second. Slower would
have been  better and if you can do the math, you can figure out how many
sheaves will  get the speed you want.