What to tell clients

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 08:45:45 MDT 2007

I'm in the midwest so with seasonal change they can usually hear how bad it
is. If they ask I tell them(depending on how bad it was) variably, I've
heard worse but it's a good thing we did it now, you must have a good ear it
wasn't that bad except for the ________ section, overall it was in tune with
itself but the unisons were out, I think it will hold with this tuning until
fall/spring but we HAVE to do it again then!

For those that can't be tuned, I try to explain gently why, using the piano
as my visual aid when I've finished if they look at me and say but can't you
just do your best? I realize I didn't get throught to them, I say,

"No I can't, what you have here is FIREWOOD masquerading as a piano"

Some of my fellow chapter members were shocked when I told them I said that
but, it's my last resort, after I have explained why and they still want it
done.
When they tell me it was grandma Mabel's and they want it fixed(old upright)
I become Mr.Salesman trying to sell them out of the idea. They will have
much more in the piano then it will be worth, things could happen making it
worthless, etc. If in the end I can't talk them out of it, I'll do it, if I
don't someone else will, I am after all a business man. I just make sure
they are aware of ALL of the potential pitfalls prior to beginning!