Pearl River strings hanging in agraffes

Avery Todd ptuner1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 06:17:01 MDT 2007

Howard,

I have also had the same problem at a dealership where I do some work. Back
in June 2006, I asked Mark Wisner the same question, plus about the tuning
pins & wire. Here is his response:

>The tuning pins are cut thread pins.  The wire is Roslau tinned wire.
Neither of these are >the problem.  The problem is that the vendor that
supplies the agraffes screwed up the >bevel of the agraffe wire hole.  The
problem has since been corrected.  Fortunately, once >the pianos are tuned
several times and the wires "breaks" the holes edge, the problem >goes away.
>I know of a tech down here in Southern California that is putting a dab of
lube where the >string enters the agraffe, kinda dangerous, in my book.  If
you have to eliminate the >problem immediately you can use a string hook and
brass rod to mate the string to the >agraffe.

>Mark

It does seem to have gotten better, although I haven't tuned a grand in a
while now.

Avery Todd, RPT