Service calls

PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com
Fri Feb 2 12:32:55 MST 2007

Many times I get a call from a new tuning customer with a "questionable"
piano. If the piano is old, especially if it's a Whitney, Sojin, Lyric (offshoot
of Wurlitzer), or any piano I suspect may be untuneable, I do the following:
if  the customer lives in an area that I frequent, and most do, I tell them
that  I'll stop by when I'm in the area, at no charge, to look the piano over in
order  to see if it's workable. In this way I don't end up setting aside a
couple of  hours for a job that will never materialize. I guest most
technicians have the policy of just making the appointment and charging for  a service
call if the piano's a bomb. I don't like doing this, because the  customer
feels badly enough being told that there's no hope for his/her piano.  To charge
him/her a service call on top of this bad news just adds insult  to injury.This
is how I feel. Your comments?

Jesse Gitnik  NYC
Tech. since 1980