driving tuning pins on a samick grand

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Feb 4 06:46:08 MST 2007

Your tuning pins are too long. The bottoms should not protrude below the bottom of the pinblock.

I don't know what kind of pinblock support jig Schaff sells, but the one I use presses a thick hunk of pinblock material, maybe ten inches long, flush up under the pinblock. Using a good support like that, you MUST use tuning pins that do not protrude through the bottom of the pinblock. For you to have your pins sticking out the pinblock bottom like I see in your photos, you must be pounding them in with no pinblock support directly under the pounding location.

I use the #PBS-1 Deluxe Pinblock Support from Pianotek (page D-34) - not only does that type of jig support a large area of pinblock, it also precludes one from using tuning pins that go beyond the pinblock bottom.

I see they also offer a pinblock jack - kinda looks like a screw jack for a car. Perhaps you are using a jack similar to that one. It only supports the pinblock at a small location - I'm sure it is quite adequate to prevent plate damage, but it does not help to keep the pinblock together like the Deluxe support does.

So the bottom line is: use shorter tuning pins and the other type of pinblock support might also help.

I know a couple times when I have driven a tuning pin that did not extend below the bottom of the pinblock, but the pin location was just beyond where I had my pinblock support, I have had the bottom ply of the pinblock tear out - that's why IMHO, the larger Deluxe Support helps one avoid that situation.

Terry Farrell