recording experiment

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Tue Feb 6 13:08:07 MST 2007

Hello list.

I just bought some chinese microphones (very good) and did some recording
tests on my piano.
One thing was obvious : when you put cardioid microphones close to a piano,
it takes what is in front of it and nothing of what is at sides or behind.
So, putting two cardioid microphones in the opening of the lid at, say, 50
cm of the soundboard gives you a nice sound, but with this setting, high
trebble or low bass are not so present, because not in front of the
microphone.
Some recording tech told me : just put your mics 5 cm from the bridges, and
they will take all the scale.
Indeed, this is so.  When you put the mics very close to the bridge, they
take all of the scale.  This seems to be very well known among recording
techs.
So I thought : why is that ?  The only response I could imagine is this :
the bridge itself carries all of the vibrations of all strings bearing on it
equally.  It is the soundboard that reacts, with it's different dimensions
from trebble to bass, to the appropriate frequencies of the strings.
Any thoughts ? (sorry for my limit english).

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.