recording experiment

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 6 20:04:23 MST 2007

Ric,
Any editing would be done on a computer or mixing console.  It uses
CD-RWs so we record tracks until we get what we want.  I presume it
would record on a CDR but I haven't tried.  The instructions are
specifically for mounting under (or behind) Kawai pianos with visual
diagrams.  That was adequate with some experimenting to place the
mikes under the Sauter Omega we have on the floor
here.  Interestingly they give centimeter distances for the mikes
from the underside of the bridge for each mike and the treble one is
supposed to be pretty low while the bass is closer.  It makes a big
difference on the treble one how close you put it.  (further is
better, on a Sauter anyway, not too many pianos out there with a
powerful treble like that)
You can select how much blend you want on the stereo and where in the
mix the auxilliary mikes go (sonically).  There are a variety of
reverb settings and equalizer settings to to select from.

The quality is like you would get on any close-miked recordings you
listen to.  You can make it sound like a big echoey hall if that is
your cup of tea.  As I noted, if you are having your recordings
professionally produced, they will want you to leave
well-enough-alone.  We like that we
can get the sound we want without having to do it in a lab.

My only complaint is that sometime we have to reboot the unit when
playing back as it freezes occasionally when switching tracks
etc.  Small gripe considering the price.  We got a UPS (like for
computers) because the DACs are very sensitive to power
fluctuations/short-outages.  The nice thing is being able to cut
professional sounding tracks on our own time whenever we want to.

Being under the piano up close to the bridges it rejects noise really
well.  (There is an adjustable noise gate too.)  You can set up to
protect that area from noise quite easily too (soften the floor,
surround with panels etc.)

For the price, you can't get anything like it, that good.

Andrew Anderson