Ronsen Bacon felt

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Feb 10 16:27:27 MST 2007

Hi Ron

Its my understanding that this is the same stuff that Renner is using
for their so called AA grade Wurzen.  Tho to some degree any  hammer is
a result of the actual hammer manufacturing process, when pressed into
the mold at the <<right>> pressure this felt is about as fine as one can
get ahold of.  I am familiar with how much you end up having to work
with with Ronsens hammers,  but the Wurzen AA Renners sold in Europe
usually require just a very little needling, deep in the shoulders.  The
needlesare no problem to get in, and if fact if you want, for whatever
reason, to deep needle right down the throat you can.

I've suspected for quite some time, and especially after hearing your
instrument in Rochester that medium pressed Wurzens of the sort I
typically order here would work quite well with your approach and
what I understand of your tonal preferences.

I am quite curious about Bacons tho, since several of the folks  whose
opinions I respect very much (grin... but do not always see eye to eye
with) speak so highly of them.  If you are interested at all, I would
offer to make a trade.  You get me a set of Bacons for meant for a
Steinway D, and I will send you a set of Renner double grade Wurzens
meant for a Hamburg D.

Its an open offer whenever / if ever you get the urge.

Cheers
RicB

    A few weeks back, I finished a small grand redesign and
    remanufacture with the low density Wurzen felt from Ronsen
    that Dale mentioned. I like it. It's firmer than the Bacon
    felt (which I also like), but not as hard as the "regular"
    Wurzen, which is too hard for my liking. Nice hammers! I hope
    Ray can get a bunch more of this felt, which fills a
    conspicuous gap in the hardness and density range of available
    hammers, for those of us looking for non-rocks to use with
    working soundboards.

    Ron N