Hall responsibilities for piano rental

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 11 21:38:18 MST 2007

Something I've been thinking about for a while is the
question of what responsibility a performance center
should have regarding the piano they rent to groups
using the hall.

For instance, the Civic Center here rents the hall to
the symphony.  They also charge the symphony $100 to
use the piano and the symphony has to pay for the
tuning. Sometimes the piano will need to have a pitch
raise or a minor repair such as a slow damper etc.
that needs to be done along with the tuning.

I went to tune Friday for the Friday evening rehearsal
and a 9 cent pitch raise was needed as well as some
action adjustments. Before Saturday's rehearsal, pitch
was -2 cents, so another tuning was required.  Touch
up after rehearsal and before concert.  Does it seem
right that the symphony should have to pay for more
than just basic tuning plus the  rental fee?  What is
typical? It almost seems that the Center should pay
for the pitch raise.
On occassion I have charged the Civic Center for some
repairs, but I don't enjoy billing them for little $15
items.  Some groups come in and rent the piano without
getting it tuned.

Bob Hull