Acrosonic -- King of the Spinets

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Feb 12 06:16:29 MST 2007

At 06:26 AM 2/12/2007 -0500, you wrote:

>Annie Grieshop wrote:
>>But I'd swear I've worked on a number of Acrosonics that weren't
>>spinets.  Last week, for example:  an Acrosonic console built in
>>the late '80s.  I've worked on several that were quite a bit older
>>(and I'm sure of that because they hadn't been tuned in decades by
>>the time I saw them).  Am I still in the wrong era (universe?) or
>>are Iowegian pianos weird?
>
>There are some Acros that are consoles..and your timetable of the
>late 80's seems correct.
>
>-Phil Bondi(Fl)

As I recall, the real Acrosonics of that era (I was doing tunings for
a large Philly Baldwin dealer '79-81) had finished wood inside so you
could see the multilaminate block. The not-so-real had the felt
covered blocks. Seems to me I peeled back a corner or two of felt and
saw the old 5? ply block.

...or I could have been imagining/mis-remembering the whole thing...

YMMV

Conrad Hoffsommer

There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them.
-Casey Stengel