Acrosonic -- King of the Spinets

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Mon Feb 12 22:11:42 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Annie Grieshop" <annie at allthingspiano.com>
To: "Barbara Richmond" <piano57 at insightbb.com>; "Pianotech"
<pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 12:13 PM
Subject: RE: Acrosonic -- King of the Spinets

> Here's the problem:  I don't know how to hear voicing issues.  I have no
> way
> of knowing whether what I hear is what is meant by the words used in books
> to describe various problems.  (Try describing a complex smell without
> comparing it to anything else... and that's pretty much where I am,
> aurally.)  And that's why I'm not going to feel confident until I get some
> training with a live technician.
>
> In the meantime, however, I'm certainly willing to experiment, so I'd be
> thankful for any suggestions.  Thanks!
>
> Annie Grieshop

Well, there are different levels of voicing, some pretty blatant, other
subtle.
So, naturally, one starts with the obvious stuff--differences in sections,
notes that don't sound like the others--whole pianos that sound like banjos,
etc.  The most important thing is to start listening.  The first class I
took years, and I mean, years ago, was one taught by Wally Brooks, where he
explained very basic voicing stuff.  That's what got me started. There are a
lot of good voicing classes taught at PTG events, go to them all!  Go more
than once.  Don't be afraid, just tread carefully and cautiously--avoiding
the urge that if a little of something works, a lot is better.  Oh heck,
sometimes a lot is OK, but you have to learn when it is. :-)

There's a lot in the archives on voicing, too and there's no learning it,
unless you start doing it!

Best,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois