Pitch raise ?

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 12 08:08:50 MST 2007

What constitutes a pitch raise, vs just tuning the piano as we normally do?

A pitch raise pass involves some amount of overpull and generally precision is not paramount - little attention is paid to getting good unisons - just get them within a couple beats (about the same pitch).

What criteria is commonly used, in other words, how 'flat' does
it have to be to trigger the 'pitch-raise' extra charge??

That largely depends on the final tuning quality desired. If it is a concert situation, then certainly anything more than about two cents flat would require a separate pitch raise pass. In most situations for me, two to five cents flat will trigger a separate pitch raise pass. Once in a while, for a customer who indicates they cannot pay for a pitch raise, I will raise the pitch maybe up to 10 cents while tuning - all in one pass.

Is there a common practice, or does it depend on more subjective criteria?

Like I say, it depends on the final tuning quality desired.

Terry Farrell

  What constitutes a pitch raise, vs just tuning the piano as we normally do?
  Invariably, the pianos that I'm tuning have gone 'flat' to some degree
  thought not evenly, hence the call to the 'tooner'.

  What criteria is commonly used, in other words, how 'flat' does
  it have to be to trigger the 'pitch-raise' extra charge??
  Is there a common practice, or does it depend on more subjective criteria?

  Jim Kinnear/